7 Way Veterans Can Make the Most Out of LinkedIn
Many active, transitioning, and veteran service members can benefit from using LinkedIn and having a stellar profile. Start the New Year right by checking out LinkedIn’s seven best features for military users below:
- Free Premium Service: Veterans receive a free one-year subscription to LinkedIn’s premium service. With the premium service users gain more access to people and profiles, and are able to use job-seeking tools not available to basic users. Register for the service here.
- Job Search: Even with a basic profile, LinkedIn’s job search feature is one of the best in the business. LinkedIn lets users filter searches by date posted, location, and industry therefore finding more opportunities. In addition, users can use LinkedIn to research companies before applying for jobs.
- LinkedIn Learning & Lynda.com: With the veteran free premium service users have access to LinkedIn Learning and Lynda.com. LinkedIn learning provides video courses on different subjects, and gives a generalized overview of any given field. Lynda.com has a similar functionality, but has more specific courses based on the user’s needs.
- Networking: Beyond the traditional idea of networking, LinkedIn users may sometimes find it valuable to reach out and connect with individuals who have already established themselves in a field who they would not otherwise have the chance to meet.
- Translating Military Experience: Veterans are likely to be told at some point they need to translate their military experience into terms civilians can understand. Luckily, LinkedIn provides veterans with many previously unavailable resources. There are millions of military member profiles that veterans can now reference to help translate their service into civilian terms.
- Join Groups: There are many different groups that veterans can benefit from joining on LinkedIn. Groups like Veteran Mentor Network where users can leverage connections and tap into hidden job markets.
- LinkedIn Publishing: Users can make the most of LinkedIn by publishing original content on their profile in order to build an individual brand.